Spend a day exploring a medieval castle, see where battles were fought were history was made, and see where history was made. Some castles are in ruins however some castles are still lived in and in remakable condition.
All the castles listed below are near (or within a short dive) to Hopton Holiday Village.
Colchester Castle Museum - William the Conqueror's first stone castle, largely intact. The first of William the Conqueror's great keeps and the largest built by the Normans in Europe. Started around 1069 completed by 1100. The castle was besieged and eventually captured by King John in 1215, following his disagreement with rebellious barons. In 1645 it was serving as a prison, and the self-styled Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins interrogated and imprisoned suspected witches here. In 1922, the Castle and parkland were gifted to the town and now serves as a public museum.
Framlingham Castle - externally intact, majestic 12th century fortress. The castle was taken by King John in 1216 after a two day siege. The castle was home to Mary Tudor before she became Queen in 1553. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Bungay Castle - is the remains of this large Norman castle, built by the Bigods in 1165 and further developed in 1294. The massive gatehouse towers remain as do the bridge pit and curtain walls. Eventually falling into disrepair and ruin. Admission to the castle keep is free,
Orford Castle - a well preserved Norman keep. With views over Orford Ness, the castle was built between 1165 and 1173 by King Henry II. The purpose was to consolidate royal power in the region and to act as a coastal defence. Built to a keep and bailey plan, with a strong central keep surrounded by a curtain wall. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply
Caister Castle - this brick castle was built by Sir John Fastolf (Shakespeare's Falstaff), between 1432 and 1446, including a 100ft tower and is surrounded by a moat. Captured by the Duke of Norfolk in 1469 and suffering major damage. The castle fell into fell into disrepair in the 17th century, when a new house was built nearby. The castle's tower remains intact and can be climbed by visitors. Restricted summer opening times and entrance charges apply, to both the castle and adjacent motor museum.